Laser Genesis™ technology safely and effectively treats pore size, fine lines, wrinkles, and rosacea. By gently heating the upper dermis the laser targets broken blood vessels, reduces redness in the skin and in scars and stimulates collagen production. Most people experience an overall healthier skin complexion with improved texture and tone, less visible redness, reduced pore size, and a decrease in fine lines.
Prior to treatment, a consultation is done to determine the patient’s goals and candidacy for the procedure. The estimated duration and cost of the procedure is provided at that time.
The CUTERA® 1064nm Nd:YAG 1064nm laser penetrates the epidermis (outer surface of the skin) and travels through into the dermis. The laser light is absorbed by the tiny blood vessels that create redness in the skin and/or in red scars. Once in the dermis, the laser energy stimulates cells called fibroblasts to stimulate collagen neogenesis. Over five treatments, this “new” collagen helps smooth and soften the appearance of wrinkles, pore size, and minor textural irregularities in scars.
While delivering laser energy, it is important not to immediately cool the skin. Bulk thermal heating stimulates your cells to produce collagen. The treatments are performed by a physician-trained registered nurse and you can expect to immediately return to normal activities.
The easiest alternative is to leave well enough alone, and to utilize camouflage makeup. Laser resurfacing, injectable fillers, Botox Cosmetic®, and medical-grade skincare are other options, which may involve downtime.
Who is a good candidate?
Laser Genesis™ can be performed on any skin type. Ideal candidates include patients with rosacea, acne, fine lines, large pores, redness in scars, and minor textural irregularities.
Who is not a good candidate?
If you are pregnant, have been on Accutane within three months, or have an active cold sore, you should not have this procedure. You should advise us of all oral and topical medications that you are currently using prior to treatment, as some medications are photosensitizing and laser treatment should not be performed while you are taking such medications. Patients also cannot be treated if they are taking blood thinning medications. Also, if you have recently used any type of gold therapy on your skin you should advise us as this can cause a blueish/gray discoloration.
The most obvious potential benefit of this treatment is an improvement in the appearance of redness, fine lines, wrinkles, pore size, redness in scars and minor textural irregularities. This treatment requires no downtime.
Every cosmetic laser therapy procedure involves a certain amount of risk, and it is important that you comprehend and accept the risks involved with the Laser Genesis™ treatment. An individual’s informed decision to undergo any cosmetic procedure is based upon a comparison of the risks to potential benefits, alternatives, and costs. Although the majority of patients do not experience complications, each item will be discussed fully with your nurse to ensure your understanding.
- Discomfort/Pain: You may experience a minor and tolerable degree of heat sensation with each pulse of the laser. Laser Genesis™ is a very tolerable procedure.
- Redness/Swelling: Rarely, a minor degree of redness and/or puffiness of the skin may follow treatment. This usually lasts less than 1-2 hours and is easily camouflaged with makeup.
- Bruising: It is uncommon to have any skin bruising following treatment. If bruising occurs, it can be camouflaged immediately, and will usually take 8-10 days to resolve.
- Skin Wound: It is exceedingly rare for lasers to cause a blister or skin wound. This is more of a risk in darker skin types. If a blister or skin wound develops, it may take 5-10 days to heal. In extremely rare instances, it may leave a noticeable lightening or darkening of the skin, or cause a scar.
- Infection: Infection is a rare possibility whenever the skin surface is disrupted. Laser Genesis™ does not involve cutting, surgery, or skin penetration, therefore infection is exceedingly rare. Should you develop a blister, you should notify the clinic, and utilize an antibiotic ointment (such as Polysporin) as directed to help avoid a skin infection.
- Scarring: Scarring is a rare occurrence; however, it is a possibility if the skin surface is disrupted. It is imperative that you follow all post-treatment instructions carefully.
- Eye Protection: Patients are required to use protective eyewear (shields) at all times during the treatment to prevent the possibility of laser injury to the eyes.
- Sun Protection: You must avoid sun exposure after the treatment for two weeks and use an SPF of 30 or higher every day.
protocol for multiple treatments
Most patients require a minimum of five treatments spaced a minimum of two weeks apart to see maximum improvement in the skin’s appearance. Over time, sun exposure, gravity, and the natural aging process can cause wrinkles, large pores, pigmentation, blemishes, textural irregularities, and redness to reappear. Laser Genesis™ can be performed again, as new concerns arise. In most instances, it is recommended to perform a maintenance treatment approximately three months after the completion of the initial course of treatment. Additional treatments could then be performed 3-4 times per year (about every 3-4 months) to help maintain your results.
All patients can respond differently to Laser Genesis™. Your response may be subject to variation, but on average 70-80% of patients who have undergone treatments report a noticeable improvement in the appearance, quality, and youthful vitality of their skin. Approximately 10% will be non-responders.
There are many variable conditions in addition to risks and potential complications that may influence the long-term result. Even though risks and complications occur infrequently, the risks cited above are particular for the Laser Genesis™ treatment. Other complications and risks can occur but are also uncommon. Although good results are expected, there is no guarantee or warranty expressed or implied as to the results that may be obtained.
To further enhance your results, the IPL, Pearl®, Pearl™ Fractional, Botox Cosmetic®, Juvederm ® injectable fillers and/or the ZO Skin Health ®grade skincare line may be used. Zinc oxide SPF 30 sunblock protection year-round is essential to protect your skin from future damage.
Providers For This Service